Various Base Station (BS) Antennas
Characterize the antenna array elements through measurements and simulations of dozens of mobile base station antennas.
- Utilized a large non-reflective open antenna range for far-field testing. Due to the large size of the antenna arrays, a sufficiently large distance between the antenna and the receiving horn antenna had to be provisioned. The horn antenna had to be calibrated for that distance.
- Built a heavy-duty remote-controlled rotating antenna stand for high-precision automated antenna pattern measurement process.
- Removed radomes. Identified and isolated the elements of interest.
- Connected coaxial 50Ω pig-tails to the inputs of each antenna element.
- Isolated all ports from the arrays’ backplane signal distribution network.
- Utilized a signal generator, a spectrum analyzer and a vector network analyzer (VNA) to capture measurement data.
- Performed radiation pattern measurements over each operating band in horizontal and vertical planes for co-polarized field of both orthogonal polarization ports by completing a 360-degree azimuth sweep and a 360-degree elevation sweep in 5-degree steps.
- Measured input impedance over the same operating bands using a calibrated VNA.
- Developed CAD models to represent each antenna element and its surrounding elements and structures.
- Performed HFSS Simulations runs to calculate the resulting antenna patterns and return loss.
- Prepared 2-D pattern plots at each required frequency band.
- Plotted Smith Chart and graph of reflection coefficient (return loss) vs. frequency.
- Comparisons were made between the antenna measurements and simulation results.
- Executive summary reports and detailed test and simulation reports were developed.
- Produced all results within the client’s stringent deadlines.
More Case Studies
Interested in learning more about what we do here at GHB Intellect? Please feel free to browse the additional case studies listed below! If you still have additional questions or would like to speak to someone about your project, please give us a call at (858) 367-3642 or send us an email at email@example.com.